Helpful Links for KCP families
- Lake Washington School District
KCP follows the LWSD calendar, which is available here.
- Lake Washington Institute of Technology
KCP is a parenting education program provided by LWIT and all parents are enrolled as students while their children attend KCP. KCP parents are eligible for programs offered to students of LWIT.
- Lake Washington Toddler Group
This program offers parent education and social support for children ages six months to 3 1/2 years. Many of our students have attended LWTG in the past.
- Lake Washington United Methodist Church Safe Parking Program
Safe Parking is a program for women and families living in their cars and they share the church's parking space with KCP.
Useful Links and books on Play-based educations
- Rieber, L. P. (1996). Seriously considering play: Designing interactive learning environments based on the blending of microworlds, simulations, and games. Educational Technology Research & Development, 44(2), 43-58,
- "Play Based Vs. Academic Preschools" article by Kathryn Ems, M.S., President of Parent Cooperative Preschools International.
- "Effort to Restore Children's Play Gains Momentum", New York Times, January 5, 2011
- "Why Preschool Shouldn't Be like School", Slate Magazine, March 16, 2011
- Alliance for Childhood
- "Preschool Tests Take Time Away from Play--and Learning" by Paul Tullis, Scientific American, Nov 2011 edition
- "Simon Says Don't Use Flascards", by Tara Parker-Pope, New York Times, Aug 23, 2012
Parent Education Resources
Jan Faull http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/parenting/
Amy Lang http://www.birdsandbeesandkids.com/
Nancy Blakey http://www.nancyblakey.com/
Cynthia Tobias http://www.applest.com/
John Gottman http://www.gottman.com/
Jennifer Watanabe http://parentcoachingbridge.com/default.aspx
Melissa Benaroya http://growparenting.com/
Bev Pressey http://www.creatinghealthyeaters.com/
We have a KCP Group site at Bigtent and you can login to Bigtent by entering
your info below.